Single Women Adopting Children With Special Needs – Finding Childcare

by Laura Christianson

One of my readers, who has a great deal of experience working with children with disabilities, is considering adopting a child who has Down syndrome.

As a high-level professional, she needs to travel for work from time to time. Her question:

What do single, professional moms do for long-term child care?

Readers, let’s hear your suggestions!

Myka June 6, 2007 at 2:15 PM

Laura, a good friend of mine recently found herself in a similar position as your reader and decided to use an au pair service. Hiring an au pair has proved to be a low cost, flexible solution for her needs. Certain programs even grant au pair extensions for more long term child care. Definitely check it out.(I believe she used Cultural Care Au Pair (URL: She says only good things about the company)
Best of luck!

Christine June 19, 2007 at 6:22 PM

The au pair sounds like a good option if you need to travel overnight or have exceedingly long hours. Our 5 y.o. son has DS and is in a full time private pre-school (The Goddard School) and is doing very well there. However, we do not have to travel overnight or work odd or long hours. Whatever you do, make sure you do your homework. Great childcare, disability or not, makes all the difference in the world. If we did not have it, I would have to think twice about working.

Previous post:

Next post: